Colorado Springs Water Damage Restoration: Article About Dangers Of Mold
Mold is a common and dangerous threat to a home. Most of the time, mold becomes a risk factor in locations in a home that are often wet or susceptible to the accumulation of moisture. Such locations include bathrooms, basements and cabinets that contain plumbing for a sink. While these locations are especially at risk for mold, it can grow anywhere in a home that becomes wet and has a lot of wooden material.
In the event of a pipe burst or a flood, water enters places in the building that may otherwise never have come in contact with it. When water soaks into the wooden baseboards or wall studs, the wood becomes a breeding ground for mold spores to grow. A Colorado Springs water damage restoration professional can look for signs and indicate whether a home is at risk of growing mold.
Symptoms from exposure to mold are similar to those of the flu or a common cold, but occur over a much longer period of time. Often, the symptoms happen over such an extended period that they are contributed to seasonal allergies rather than mold. People of an advanced age, infants, and those who suffer from respiratory illnesses such as asthma are especially susceptible to the symptoms caused by exposure to mold. One of the most common types of mold is black mold, which has a slimy texture and grows in a distinctive spotty pattern.
A water damage restoration expert from Avalanche Roofing & Exteriors of Colorado Springs CO can answer any question about water damage, attic insulation or interior painting.
Symptoms of exposure to this mold are irritability, excessive sneezing and coughing, and a mild fever. When there are signs of mold in a home, it is best to call a professional to look for a leak and get the mold removed.
Because mold can grow extensively and into the wood itself, it often goes unnoticed for months. When it does finally become apparent, the mold has probably established itself in the home. In this case, a water damage restoration professional will need to assess the cause of the mold and then determine the amount of restoration that will have to be done to remove the infestation and water damage. Depending on the extent, this could either involve simply cleaning the infested area or an entire replacement of the structure where the infestation took place. Whichever the case, it is best to have the infestation removed as quickly as possible for the sake of the homeowner's health and to prevent the mold from spreading further. Mold produces its own moisture by drawing in water from the air, hence the slimy texture of the mold. Because of this, mold can grow indefinitely throughout a home.